Herbs and Essential Oils: Benefits of Herbal Essential Oils
Both Herbs and essential oils are incredibly beneficial, and people have been using them for multiple purposes since ancient times. Essential oils extracted from the herbaceous parts of plants are known as herbal essential oils.
This article will discuss some of the best herbs for essential oils and what benefits herbal essential oils have to offer?
The term ‘ herb’ refers to the part of a plant having aromatic leaves. The herbs can be used in fresh or dried form for cooking mainly and other medicinal benefits. On the other hand,
essential oils are volatile materials of plants and herbs. They are extracted through steam distillation or cold-press method, retaining the original flavor and scent of the plant source. Over time herbs and essential oils have gained a lot of popularity because of their excellent advantages.
Herbal Essential Oils List:
The five most advantageous and commonly used herbal essential oils are:
- Basil Essential Oil
- Fennel Essential Oil
- Marjoram Essential Oil
- Peppermint Essential Oil
- Thyme Essential Oil
- Lemongrass essential oil
Herbs and Essential Oils: Are They Beneficial?
Basil Essential Oil:
- The most important medicinal parts of the basil plant are its leaves and seeds.
- They are used for culinary purposes all over the world.
- Basil essential oil massage gives your dull-looking skin a glow and also improves the hair texture.
- Many cosmetic products claim to have basil essential oil in them. Basil essential oil is also used to treat acne and skin infections.
- Basil essential oils also aid in digestion, stomach cramps, and colic.
Fennel Essential Oil:
- Fennel is a commonly found herb in our kitchens, known for its pleasant aroma and flavor.
- The health benefits of fennel-infused herbal essential oil are immense. You can use it as carminative, antispasmodic, expectorant, and laxative.
- The exciting thing about fennel essential oil is that it can be taken orally to help with digestion. Just mix a drop or two with water and experience the benefits right away.
- Combine a few drops of fennel essential oil with your facial cleanser and see how gently it cleanses your skin.
- Diffuse these fantastic herbs and essential oils in your room or office to accomplish your tasks with a complete focus.
Marjoram Essential Oil:
Marjoram is the herb that symbolizes love and beauty in the roman methodology. This herb is used in our kitchens as an alternative to oregano because of its similar fragrance and taste.
- Marjoram essential oil has healing and soothing properties. You can use marjoram herbal essential oil by all three methods, i.e., topically, aromatically, and internally.
- It’s a potent vasodilator, so it can help maintain healthy blood pressure and support heart health.
- The delicious scent of marjoram essential oil stimulates your salivary glands, promoting the peristaltic movement, improving digestion.
- Because of its antiviral and antibacterial effects, you can use marjoram essential oil during cold and flu season.
- Dilute marjoram essential oil with a carrier oil and massage aching joints and sore muscles.
- Marjoram essential oil, like many herbs and essential oils, has calming properties which help promote better sleep and a way out from insomnia.
Peppermint Essential Oil:
Whether you have an upset stomach or stress that doesn’t go away, peppermint essential oil is here to help you.
- Peppermint essential oil is a favorite among users of herbal essential oils.
- It is also considered one of the best organic essential oils for the skin because of its miraculous properties to treat acne overnight.
- The fresh and energizing scent of peppermint essential oil improves your concentration for the task at hand.
- The minty aroma promotes fresh breath. Simply add two drops of peppermint essential oil to your toothbrush and brush as usual.
Rosemary Essential Oil
- For ages, man has been searching for a magic potion that rejuvenates the skin and hides the signs of aging; rosemary essential oil is the magic elixir with medicinal properties to address various skin and hair problems.
- Are you worried about dull and sagging skin? Mix 3-4 drops of rosemary essential oil with witch hazel and honey (one tablespoon each), make a paste, and evenly apply on your face. You will see noticeable results soon.
- Rosemary essential oil is a proven remedy for baldness.
- In aromatherapy, rosemary essential oil is considered purifying, which helps patients stay focused and clears the brain fog.
- The herbaceous oil possesses anti-inflammatory properties making it practical for joint and muscle pains.
Thyme Essential Oil:
Thyme is one of the best herbs for essential oils. It is commonly used as condiments and spice to add flavor to your recipes.
- One of the vital health benefits of thyme essential oil is improving blood circulation in the body. Thus, promoting heart health by preventing blood clots.
- Another tremendous benefit of thyme essential oil is it being a cicatrizant. This means it helps diminish scars from your skin.
- This potent essential oil also possesses anti-fungal and antibacterial properties, which make the immune system stronger. Using thyme essential oil keeps you at bay from potential infections.
Lemongrass Essential Oil:
- The mild, sweet, and lemon-like fragrance of lemongrass essential oil acts as a natural deodorizer.
- Mix it with any of your lotions and cleanser. It will make your skin toned and glowing.
- These herbs and essential oils may help keep insects at bay.
- Lemongrass essential oil also prevents the growth of some bacteria and viruses in the body.
Health Benefits of Essential Oils:
- One of the incredible benefits of aromatherapy is easing the signs of stress and anxiety. Studies suggest that the calming smell of some essential oils is effective in treating stress alongside traditional therapy.
- We are all familiar with the famous lavender essential oil and its soothing properties. Studies found it to be exceptionally helpful in promoting sleep in women after childbirth. Therefore, if you are a new mommy fighting insomnia, then lavender essential oil is might all you need.
- Peppermint essential oil, when used with ethanol, is known to provide relief for headaches and migraines. Interesting? Just dab a cotton ball in the mixture mentioned above, apply it on the temples or forehead and see the results.
- Another benefit essential oils possess is their ability to fight inflammation. Some studies show positive results while using essential oils (thyme and oregano) for treating colitis. However, more research needs to be done on this purpose.
- CBD oil sleep inducing properties help you doze off in no time and you wake up all energized in the morning.
What essential oils should you avoid:
Essential oils are immensely beneficial and natural; there is no doubt about it, but they can be potentially hazardous if not used cautiously. Essential oils are as potent as any other medicine; therefore, always look for any instructions on the label before you pop out any essential oil in your diffuser or want to use it any other way.
- Eucalyptus essential oil is good for immune health and dental pains, but it may be associated with causing seizures in people when ingested.
- Similarly, chamomile is known for its calming effects and helps you unwind, but those with plant allergies may be at risk of severe reactions.
- Stop diffusing any herbs and essential oil in your diffuser if you feel they are causing allergy symptoms like sneezing, coughing, or watery eyes.
- Always dilute an essential oil with a carrier oil or water before use. Because of the rugged nature of essential oil, they may cause severe side effects if used directly.
Herbs and essential oils possess uncountable benefits. From our culinary recipes to beauty and health, we use them for various reasons to make our quality of life better. Although, a lot of research needs to be done to back up the potential benefits and risks of herbal essential oils.
Remember that while it’s true; essential oils are all therapeutic and natural, but it doesn’t make them 100% safe. Therefore carefully following the usage instructions can save you and your loved ones from the potential risks and hazards these essential oils may cause.